IT portfolio management is a critical competency for all IT organizations. Portfolio management has direct impacts on cost, service, and most importantly, meeting customer expectations.
In striving for a balanced portfolio, our approach classifies investments in three major categories:
- Essential (keep the lights on)
- Strategic (competitive advantage)
- High-Potential (seed money)
Business & IT leaders need to work together to determine the appropriate proportion of total resources that should be allocated to each class of activities during each planning cycle.
For the next step, a range of processes can be applied to yield investment recommendations in priority order. Regardless of the process utilized, business ownership is essential.
One way of establishing and maintaining engagement is by appointing “System Owners.” These are typically senior personnel who are responsible for the strategic processes enabled by the associated system. System Owners are, in effect, stewards who guide and ensure the proper level of attention and investment in their supporting systems. They are an essential element in creating portfolios reflective the organization’s technology needs.
Should IT require additional resources, ready advocates, in the form of System Owners, are already embedded within the business to support or drive this request.
At Puffin Advisors our team takes a proven and practical approach to create a vibrant and effective portfolio management process suited to your specific needs:
- Manage portfolios which align services with actual business needs
- Provide the IT infrastructure & services required for secure and transparent information exchange
- Improve the broader organization by proactively identifying opportunities to improve efficiency
- Exploit opportunities to provide high quality IT services at a lower cost
- Harness technology to differentiate and deliver competitive advantage
- Identify and develop/acquire the skills set required to deliver the IT strategy
The Puffin team has the knowledge and experience to help IT organizations identify opportunities to improve their effectiveness and thereby provide higher value to their organizations.
Contact Puffin Advisors today and let us help your IT organization fly to the right target. Learn how we would approach your unique situation and make lasting and positive impacts. To learn about our other services, please click here.